|Y.M.C.A. - 52 East 23rd Street - 23rd Street and Fourth Avenue NYC|
James Renwick Jr. - Architect
The first built for the YMCA purpose building in the United States in New York City, the “Christian Clubhouse”, was located at east 23rd Street, SE corner, and then Fourth (Park) Ave and finished in 1869.
Built across from the National Academy of Design on the NW Corner of 23rd Street and present day Park Avenue South, the YMCA building had 40 artist studios for rent on the top two floors, 4th and 5th floors. Rent from the studios subsidized the mission of the "Y" as a Christian clubhouse with Library, Reading Room, lounges, classrooms, lecture rooms, large Auditorium and Gymnasium in the basement. Also some store fronts for rent on the NE corner frontage.
That along the timeline some of the artists who rented space at "52 E. 23rd Street" NYC were:
Alexander Helwig Wyant (who also died there in his studio)
Paula Lupkin - Manhood Factories: YMCA Architecture and the Making of Modern Urban Culture (Architecture, Landscape and Amer Culture)