Sunday, October 26, 2014

Arthur Leary Memorial Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament - Bellevue Hospital NYC - 1897 - W. Schickel & Co. Architects

Image: Catholic World, Volume 65 - 1897
(Original Copyright Expired)

“The first Roman Catholic Chapel at Bellevue Hospital was the gift of Miss Annie Leary in memory of her brother, Arthur Leary. Designed in the French Gothic style, the chapel was built of stone quarried from the banks of the East River. The interior was finished in hand-carved oak that was executed under the personal supervision of Miss Leary. Walls were hued in an old rose shade, while the ceiling was pale blue, darkening in color as it neared the arch above the altar. Within the chancel rail were three marble altars, and above the altar was a window representing Christ healing the sick. Nine additional windows, executed in Munich, represented patron saints. The chapel was dedicated on February 27, 1897, in impressive ceremonies officiated by Archbishop Corrigan. Music was furnished by a double quartet led by William Pecher, organist at St. Patrick's Cathedral. Miss Leary sent invitations to 300 friends, and after the service gave a very handsome breakfast in the banquet room of the Waldorf Hotel. The two-hour breakfast was attended by forty gentlemen, including clergy who had officiated, friends of Mr. Leary, and others who had been interested in the building and dedication of the chapel. Guests were received by Miss Leary, assisted by Mrs. Stuyvesant Fish, Mrs. John Dahlgren Drexel, and Mrs. Charles Oelrichs, but when breakfast was announced Miss Leary and her female friends left to have breakfast in the restaurant downstairs.

The chapel was razed in 1938…”

Image: A Short History Of Bellevue Hospital And Of The Training Schools – 1915
(Original Copyright Expired)


No comments: