Friday, July 22, 2011

Bible pages burned - Wales Art Pageant


The Reverend Geraint ap Iorwerth of St Peter ad Vincula Church, Pennal, also cut up pages from the King James Bible to create an artwork. 
Unveiling it at a church event, he said it revealed a "cruel and vile God"… 
Mr ap Iorwerth told BBC Wales he had burnt scraps of cut up the passages at the public event because he had been making a statement as part of an art experiment. 
He said he had had nothing but support from people at the church near Machynlleth, close to the Gwynedd-Powys border.
He revealed his controversial piece of art at an event to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible. 
He said: "I find it highly offensive that people would think I have given my life to serving that type of God and that I would regard the words of the King James Bible as sacred truth.
"I cut out all the nasty bits of that Bible, the language of which is being celebrated all over the place this year, because I don't think you can separate that language from the God it is representing. 
I cut out all the nasty bits of that Bible, the language of which is being celebrated all over the place this year” 
"I was gobsmacked no programmes or articles are representing the cruelty, revenge and hatred of this version of God."

No comments: