Tuesday, April 13, 2010

MLK Jr. National Memorial – A Dream nears Completion


I ran into a favorite blog of mine mentioning that today was the 40th anniversary of the May Day call from Apollo 13 as it approached the moon – “Houston. We have a problem”. The blog writer went on to say that anybody who could remember that event was “old”.

Well I am old by that standard but I through the electronic marvel of television can remember events of that era including Martin Luther King’s funeral. But better than that sad day, I remember the unbelievable charisma of Martin Luther King Jr. and his “I Have a Dream” speech delivered from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in August 1963. I watched it on a black and white TV in our living room. Young as I was I did not think that the things being talked about that day would happen in my lifetime but they did happen and are happening.

A great historic figure stood before us and then he was gone.

I thought this year that MLK Day lacked something. Perhaps a very real part of his dream has to do with having an African American President in the White House. This year I kinda felt MLK was drifting into the background of history.

When they finish his monument in about two years in Washington D.C., that is something I would like to see in person. I love the symbolism in the design of the man bound to, and coming out of, and being at the same time A Rock to lean on.

One of those annual anniversaries is upon us, of his death in April 1968.

Build The Dream (buildthedream.org) is reaching out for donations big and small to help finish this great monument to reflect the great legacy of this man. Please watch this beautiful and inspirational computer rendering of the envisioned finished monument and its surroundings.




(click start arrow, then click on screen to expand image)

Pass the word along please. – buildthedream.org -

No comments: